Interview with John Wallace, General Manager at the Churchill Hotel and the Jorvik House Hotel in York
'With Guestline, our front desk staff can spend their time serving the needs of our guests rather than shuffling paper around!’
John Wallace discusses why he feels part of the Guestline family and how our integrated systems enable the hotels to deliver a seamless experience, enhance the guest journey and takes the strain (and manual workload) off their staff.
Hear how the John and the team can …
- Drive direct bookings, boost upsells and compete with the OTAs with our Direct Booking Manager (DBM) – ‘Bookings automatically drop into the system so there’s next to no manpower, and there’s no errors.’
- Seamlessly and quickly manage rates and distribute rooms from John’s mobile with Guestline’s Channel Manager
- Automatically handle advance payments as bookings enter their systems with GuestPay, so time and human error are taken out of the equation – ‘Guestpay provides us with good terms, delivers our funds quicker and saves us money. Additionally, PayLink gives the guest a contactless means of paying and checking-in pre-arrival, which saves us time and minimises the guest’s time at the front desk.’
- Get an easy view of payments and accounts to see what they’ve taken from all departments in real-time on one portal, along with straightforward reporting.
- Easily train new starters - ‘They can be up and active in the first day of employment with us.’
- Pre-program Rezlynx PMS to effectively think how John thinks and take decisions in his absence (when they receive cancellations or a drop in demand for example) by setting up rate rules in advance - ‘It allows us to manage room rates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year’.
- Easily access the system from a mobile, even when on holiday or at home, at any time of the day as long as they’ve got an internet connection.
You might also like:
Integrate as much as possible within your property
‘My advice to other hoteliers is to look for a cloud-based system and integrate as much as possible within your property - connect reception and room bookings with EPOS, room rates and OTAs to make life easier.
Guestline PMS enables me to fulfil my role as GM and manage room sales, allowing me to save on a revenue manager salary and reduce administrative tasks with the automation. We can run our hotel with one or 2 staff on the front desk who can spend their time serving the needs of our guests rather than shuffling paper around!’
Watch the full interview here -
About the hotels
The Churchill Hotel is a luxury Grade II* Listed Georgian mansion c1827 combining English heritage with contemporary design in a central location set in the heart of the city - an ideal base for business, shopping or sightseeing. Some of the best bedrooms in York with a modern British brasserie for some of the finest food in the city serving great Yorkshire produce prepared to the highest of standards. The Wellington bar serves a fantastic collection of craft beers and world spirits or the bartenders favourite tipple.
Jorvik House city centre hotel less than 5 minutes walk from the heart of York’s shopping district, all its major attractions and the railway station. Welcoming you with good old fashioned hospitality and Yorkshire charm. This 1750’s Georgian townhouse overlooks the gateway to the Museum Gardens, The 11th Century Church of St Olaf’s and the remains of St Mary’s Abbey. The newly refurbished luxury rooms and junior suites are decorated in a Scandinavian chic style drawing on York’s Viking past for inspiration.
"Bookings automatically drop into the system so there’s next to no manpower, and there’s no errors"
"PayLink enables the guests to pay and check-in online, which saves us time and minimises the guest’s time at the front desk"
"By setting up rate rules in advance, it allows us to manage room rates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year"
- Kate Fuller, Marketing Manager, Guestline
Sign up here for the latest news and practical advice from our Coronavirus Hotelier Hub: